Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Day in Kenya

Today at 1:58am EDT, 8:58 Kenya time
It is Easter morning. I am waiting for my ride to church. It has been several days since I have had the internet working. This is being written in facebook and my husband will have to cut and paste it to my blog because it's quicker that way. Blogger doesn't work so well here. Later I will try again to download pictures.Anyway, Wednesday and Thursday I taught my class of seven ladies and we worked on how to take measurements and work with a pattern. I also did a demonstration on how to draft a pattern from scratch using a standard set of size 12 measurements. We also talked about how to alter a pattern for a custom fit. I showed them how to cut notches, read a multi-sized commercial pattern, demonstrated a disappearing quilt marker (that was fun, when I wrote on my white sweater!) and we had many laughs together.Next week we will be making jackets, lined, with welt pockets and two piece sleeves. I love working with these ladies and they are very eager. They asked me to give them a list of all of YOUR names so they could pray for you with thanksgiving for sending me to teach them!I am also thankful for the opportunity to be here with them.Friday and Monday are holidays here.Friday I was totally free and mostly relaxed. Since I would have been the only one at the guest house for lunch,I ended up joining a missionary family with 3 small children and going to the local mall. We had lunch there at an English restaurant (I had quiche when they were out of fish and chips). I got a book and some postcards at a bookstore and the children enjoyed the toystore. I bought them some bubbles. The family are serving in Tanzania. The rest of the day was very restful.Yesterday i was picked up in the morning by Pat, one of the Kenyan Amani staff ladies. She took me to the Massai market which is held in the main courthouse plaza in the city. They hold it there to keep the vendors off the street corners. It was an amazing experience and very helpful to have Pat along! I found a lot of good bargains and fun things to bring back.Then we went to the Bama Center which was a display of village houses, huts, like Jamestown, if you have ever been there. Then there was a dance performance. At the end the guy pulled ME up onto the stage. I almost died of embarrassment but then I realized nobody there knew me so, I danced! Pat did get some pictures!Exhausted (it was a hot day and air-conditioning does not exist here), we returned home for dinner. I slept well last night after dinner and a hot shower!!Hope you all have a blessed Easter!

1 comment:

  1. Blessings to you too Judy!!

    Happy Easter!

    Love and Hugs,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete